Doors can safeguard homes from would-be intruders. Same goes for your windows. Yes, there was a time not long ago when people felt secure leaving their homes and cars unlocked. Fresh air would cascade through open windows, even on the first floor, keeping families cool all through the night. Times were simpler then; life was slower, and families felt safe in their homes.
Today is a different story. People fear for their safety even within the confines of their home. It is a sad state of affairs, but it is the world we live in. Unfortunately, not many families are as safe as they think they are. In fact, according to the National Crime Prevention Council, most dwellings do not even have the proper lock security in place to adequately safeguard homes.
Here are some tips to help you keep your family safe in these troubled times.
Ways to Safeguard Homes
1. Update and replace all old locks on windows and doors.
2. Make sure there is a deadbolt installed on every door in your home. Also, make sure the bolt is long enough to stop would-be burglars from prying the door open.
3. Get in the habit of actually using your locks, when you are home and when you leave. Instruct everyone in the house to do the same.
4. Get to know your neighbors. They are your least expensive line of defense against people who should not be on your property.
5. Give a trusted neighbor your spare key as opposed to using hide-a-keys that thieves can find.
6. Make sure all entryways are well-lit at night so there are no dark areas where people could hide. Also, ensure there are no bushes or hedges that would provide a hiding area.
7. When you are going out of town, pause all mail and newspaper deliveries. These things piling up are a sure sign to intruders that no one has been home.
Remember these ways to safeguard homes. And also remember that being proactive can go a long way in keeping your loved ones safe!
Coastal Contract Hardware is experienced in all types of doors and door repairs, as well as general locksmith services to help safeguard homes and businesses. We service areas in North and South Carolina such as Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Garden City, North Myrtle Beach, Little River, Conway, Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island, and Horry County, SC and other surrounding areas. To find out more, get in touch by visiting our contact page and filling out the form or call us at 843-946-3500.